Sunday, October 20, 2013

Alphabet Books

DSC_0141

I LOVED this idea when I first saw it on No Time For Flash Cards and I have finally managed to begin Alphabet Books of our own. I got a hold of some scrapbooks, drew block outline uppercase letters on the left hand pages, and the lowercase letters on the right hand pages.
For the letter 'A', we copied the idea from No Time For Flashcards - that is, the girls pasted green pieces of paper into the letter, and then added some white cardboard 'teeth' (cut with pinking shears) and some googly eyes, to create Alligator A's.


DSC_0139
Ava's work
For the lowercase 'a', I downloaded a clipart image of an apple, and printed off a sheet full of them. I cut the apples out and the girls pasted them into their little 'a's', and then coloured them in.

DSC_0140

In addition to this, I printed some cute colouring pages from Kiboomu Worksheets (see below) which they coloured in whilst I was preparing the materials for the Alphabet Book.

DSC_0134

DSC_0137Ava struggled to concentrate for the duration of the activity, and needed a lot of encouragement to complete her pages. At this point, she's very much a one-scribble-plus-one-pasted-picture-and-I'm-done kind of girl. She also knows the alphabet (both upper- and lower-case) very well, so it was not terribly challenging for her; challenges tend to inspire a bit more concentration!

DSC_0135Eden, however, set to her work with her characteristic intensity, gluing the paper down very neatly, and colouring in with precision. She needed no goading to complete her tasks, and clearly took pride in her accomplishments when she had finished.


          All told, it was a fun activity - albeit more so for Eden than
          for Ava - and I cannot wait to get started on the letter B already!

          Thanks for reading! ~ L.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...