Friday, May 4, 2012

Sticky Marshy Fun!


If you're a frequent flyer here at HLM, you may have heard me wax lyrical about open-ended activities. If not, here's a quick recap: open-ended activities are those with no set purpose in mind which offer your child the opportunity to create their own play/learning experience. For example, giving your child a stack of boxes, tennis balls and rubber bands and seeing what they do with them is an open-ended activity. As is painting, or playing with wooden blocks, or a dress-up box, etc. Crafts are not open-ended. They're great - but just not open-ended.
I am always amazed by what my daughters come up with when I give them these opportunities! I once gave Eden a pile of empty tissue boxes, and she put them on her hands and feet and declared herself Princess Tissue-Box Robot!
In this vein, I set out a tray with a bowl of marshmallows and a handful of toothpicks for Eden, and this is what she did with them:





After playing around and experimenting with her provisions, she set to work ("Phew! I'm working so hard Mummy,") creating her lollipops...


As this was an open-ended activity, there is no right or wrong, no goals to reach or project to make. Nevertheless, when Eden was finished with the tray, I made a few things to show you what else your child might make:




What could your tot make?

Thanks for reading! ~ L.

2 comments:

  1. Lauzi,
    I have enjoyed your blog and am awarding you the One Lovely Blog Award. Please follow this link to my announcement post to learn more about it.
    http://www.theunlikelyhomeschool.com/2012/05/one-lovely-blog-award.html.

    Enjoy!
    Jamie @ The Unlikely Homeschool

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jamie, that's so lovely of you. I appreciate it very much! :D

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...